Sweet Red Bean soup is a common Chinese desert. I remember that I ate Red Bean soup frequently after restaurant meal when I was a child. So, let’s learn how to make this desert!
1 1/2 cups red adzuki beans
1/2 cup Chinese rock sugar
2 pieces dried tangerine peel (optional)
1. Start by gathering your ingredients. It’s a short list! Just red adzuki beans and Chinese rock sugar.
2. Soak the red beans in cold water for 2 hours.
3. Discard the soaking water, then put the beans in a large pot and add water until it reaches 2 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Add the optional dried tangerine peel, then cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add additional water as necessary.
4. After 2 1/2 hours, the beans should start to “look and feel right,” that is, they should be breaking down, but still somewhat firm. At this stage, the soup looks done, but you’ll notice it doesn’t taste right — there’s no sweetness to the beans themselves.
5. Remove 1 cup of soup and blend with a hand blender. Return the blended soup to the main pot and add the sugar to taste. With the sugar added, the soup should now, “look, feel AND taste right.”
6. Once the sugar is dissolved, let the soup cook down for up to 30 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. (However, don’t overcook the soup — left on the stove too long, it will soon turn into something that closely resembles refried beans.) Serve immediately.
For visit more:http://www.dimsumcentral.com/red-bean-soup/